Skip to main content

Write Habit

I am an artist at heart. I beat to my own drummer and find it very difficult to follow the same routine everyday. After high school, I didn't have a 7am-5pm day like most people. Between college, grad school, and my life as a surveyor, I had a pretty flexible schedule. If it was sunny, I went outside. If it rained, I stayed in, but when I became a teacher, that all changed. Following my second week of teaching, I asked my mentor how she dealt with being at the same place every day at the same time. Her answer, "You get used to it."


Three years later, I got used to it, more or less, but my creative process lacked. I spent so much time grading papers and developing lesson plans, I didn't read or write anything on my own. Sure, I read Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Into the Wild, The Outsiders, Julius Caesar, and a handful of others, dozens of times, but I didn't read much on my own. By the end of the day, my brain was fried and the pillow called my name. Occasionally, I wrote down an idea on scrap paper or in a composition book, but that was it.


Then my son came, followed by my two daughters, and I entered my Reading Renaissance. I devoured books as if I hadn't eaten in years. After the babies were asleep, I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning, to read. When my reading craving was temporarily sated, epiphany struck.
It was time for me to write.The graveyard shift and I became BFFs. Starr Fall spilled onto the page and when my eyelids finally drifted closed each evening, I saved my ten to twenty pages and went to bed and prayed the next day, I'd get a chance to write more.


Writing became a habit to me.


A habit, I cannot, will not break. Not in a boat, not in a car, not in a house, now let me be... (My Ode to Dr. Seuss) Some days I write more than others. Occasionally a day or two goes by when I don't write, but more than likely, I am stuck in a book.


Make your ART a habit.


Schedules don't work for me. The moment I roughly outline a schedule for the day or the week, I find myself breaking it. The rebel in me hates schedules. So, I don't write down when I plan to write. I just do it.


My Writing days look like this: 2 to 3 days a week


6:30 am - 7:00 am  Browse my email, Facebook, Twitter, and the Weather Channel, then officially get out of bed, take care of pets, turn on laptop, drink a soy chai latte
7:00 am -7:50 am     Journal (a new 10 min. habit) or read or work on current WIP (Work in Progress) or blog
7:50 am - 9:00 am     Kid time, drop off at school
9:00 am -10:30 am   Work out and Brain Dump
10:30 am -11:00 am  Eat breakfast, Shower
11:00 am - 3:15 pm   WRITE (My ideal time frame, but it doesn't always work out.)
3:15 pm - 8:00 pm     Kid time
8:00 pm - ???(10-1)    Write or Read or TV time (Thursday nights: Vampire Diaries and Reign--purely research. Honest. The occasional Criminal Minds or Big Bang Theory)              


**WRITE*** times: I write. I research something on Google, than shut down the internet.


Dedicate time to your craft without distractions.


*Write* times: I blog, tweet, Facebook, or browse around in addition to my WIP.


My substitute teaching days, I try to read in the morning a bit, revise during my prep periods, and then I generally stay up late to write.


Protect your writing time fiercely.


Here's my Ink Sister, Donna's schedule. It is a struggle to dedicate time solely to your craft, but you MUST do it.
Did you notice the Clean house? Yeah, I laughed too. I told her she makes me look bad;)


What's your Write Habit?


Write on,
Kim

















Popular posts from this blog

The Querying Writer: Part II

Dear Kim,


Remember that letter I sent you way back in October? (You remember October-- back when all things seemed possible.) 





The letter, COMP TITLES and THE QUERYING WRITER, shared details from our Novel Nuts & Bolts class with Empire Literary Agent Carrie Howland. (I may have referred to her as "agent-extraordinaire" in another post.)

Though today's post will be my third about Carrie, it is titled "Part II" because my querying journey seems sequel worthy.







I started looking for an agent soon after you and I met at the NYC SCBWI conference in 2012. I had nice feedback from an agent at a conference and sent him my work. His response was kind (which I've found most responses from agents to be.) But my writing wasn’t ready. The novel he saw was the first I’d ever finished. I wasn't ready.

I swallowed that little voice that said, SEND! SEND! SEND! for two more years until I entered #PitchWars-- Brenda Drake’s crash course in pitching. In the years between t…

Cover Reveal: The Perfect Trip by Stacy Barnett Mozer

Dear Alison,

Thank you for my letter on Friday. I was teaching and didn't get to read it until late Friday night, but oh the memories of our time at the Writing Barn...so wonderful, so peaceful, so inspiring. The retreat was a much needed break from the insane fall I've had, and though we worked our butts off, it was a different kind of work, a good kind of work, my favorite kind of work, and sharing that work with you and Donna? Yeah, that was awesome. I, too, was really able to dig into my WIP and find Gigi's voice. She's so different from Starr and with so much prep work on Starr Lost (Book Two) and Starr Gone (Book Three), I had a hard time recapturing Gigi's voice, but Texas changed all that. Her 'in your face' style sets the tone for the entire young adult urban fantasy series, and I can't get her defiant nature out of my head. (People, you've been warned.)

Alison, you and I get to share the writing love every Monday and Thursday. Today, I ge…

BOOK REVIEW: Starr Fall & BOOK RELEASE: Once & Forever

Dear Alison,

Goodbye January, Hello February! Last week, I let everyone peak in my drawers.  Today, I'm opening my inbox. Well, not literally. You DO NOT want to see my inbox--though I do try to keep all the accounts very tidy--sometimes the emails get a bit, what's the word I'm looking for? Expansive. My favorite emails are from fans. I LOVE them. They make me all warm and fuzzy. Seriously, touch my arm...

See? Warm and Fuzzy. Oh, wait those are my doggies;)

While, I ADORE the fan mail (I DO, I REALLY DO) I would LOVE them even more if they were added as a review to AMAZON and GOODREADS. For instance, look at some of these reviews:


Must Read!!!, January 31, 2017 By  Kelly

This review is from: Starr Fall: Book One of the Starr Fall Series (Kindle Edition) Purchased this book for my 14 year old daughter who is NOT a fan of reading for pleasure or at all for that matter. Well, the book immediately grabbed her attention. In her words..."I can't put this book down. I ne…