Skip to main content

Spring Fever: WIP


Spring Fever struck our household hard this week. Bicycles, t-shirts, and 3 feet of snow left. Not everyone's idea of spring, but in the Northeast, we take what we can get. 


As I clear away the Irish lace and the hibernating dust bunnies and my NA WIP draws to a close, I can’t decide what I want to work on next.


What does WIP mean anyway? Writers throw around acronyms like everyone knows what we’re talking about. Sorry, it’s our ‘thing.’ (but FYI, writers tend to have lots of ‘things.’ )


WIP stands for Work In Progress.
And to review,
 NA: New Adult
YA: Young Adult
MG: Middle Grade
PB: Picture Book
SCBWI: Society of Children Book Writers & Illustrators 

As I keep adding to my list, I realize I should add an Acronym Code Page. Hmm, another day.
 

Spring is about clearing out the cobwebs. 
 

IMG_8176

I house clean for a day, maybe two. Then the urge disappears until next year. But Writing, well, I could write all day, every day, and still long for more time.


Story ideas hit me everywhere--in the car, at the movies, at parent pickup, at the dentist, sleeping, eating, brushing my teeth, in the shower, working out...I think you get the picture. I jot down these mini-bolts of lightning on scrap paper, journals, napkins, and then I let them brew until I'm ready to bring them to life.

 

So, my question is, what do I work on next?

  • While Starr Fall, my YA Contemporary, is out in the world, searching for a home, do I work on the second one? Does she become the assassin the Organization envisioned? Can Starr and Christian’s love survive?
  • Then there’s the Dystopia that I've let steep for many years. I add to the storyline every month or two. I envision it as a YA, but it could work really well as a NA.
  • Wide Awake is my YA paranormal romance I wrote two years ago, that Harold Underdown suggested I break into three books. It could be NA, just as easy.

Pitch: When Brie takes a fateful spin around an abandoned church, she releases Clayone, the deadliest werewolf of all time and discovers the shocking truth—she’s the only living descendant of the Celtic Goddess Brigit, and Clayone craves her blood.
 
Brie has until the full moon on October 31st, the eve of Samhaim, to lock Clayone back in the hell he came from or the unbridled reign of the werewolf will begin at last. The full moon’s never looked so terrifying. 

  • I have a MG story that I add to all the time about a life skills student who finds his voice.

  • And a load of other ideas. Some more formed than others, but ideas nonetheless.
What project sounds good to you? Or do you have an idea you’d love to read about?

How do you come up with your ideas?


What projects do you decide to work on?


What is your WIP? I’d love to hear about them!

 

Write on,

Kim

Popular posts from this blog

The Querying Writer: Part II

Dear Kim,


Remember that letter I sent you way back in October? (You remember October-- back when all things seemed possible.) 





The letter, COMP TITLES and THE QUERYING WRITER, shared details from our Novel Nuts & Bolts class with Empire Literary Agent Carrie Howland. (I may have referred to her as "agent-extraordinaire" in another post.)

Though today's post will be my third about Carrie, it is titled "Part II" because my querying journey seems sequel worthy.







I started looking for an agent soon after you and I met at the NYC SCBWI conference in 2012. I had nice feedback from an agent at a conference and sent him my work. His response was kind (which I've found most responses from agents to be.) But my writing wasn’t ready. The novel he saw was the first I’d ever finished. I wasn't ready.

I swallowed that little voice that said, SEND! SEND! SEND! for two more years until I entered #PitchWars-- Brenda Drake’s crash course in pitching. In the years between t…

Cover Reveal: The Perfect Trip by Stacy Barnett Mozer

Dear Alison,

Thank you for my letter on Friday. I was teaching and didn't get to read it until late Friday night, but oh the memories of our time at the Writing Barn...so wonderful, so peaceful, so inspiring. The retreat was a much needed break from the insane fall I've had, and though we worked our butts off, it was a different kind of work, a good kind of work, my favorite kind of work, and sharing that work with you and Donna? Yeah, that was awesome. I, too, was really able to dig into my WIP and find Gigi's voice. She's so different from Starr and with so much prep work on Starr Lost (Book Two) and Starr Gone (Book Three), I had a hard time recapturing Gigi's voice, but Texas changed all that. Her 'in your face' style sets the tone for the entire young adult urban fantasy series, and I can't get her defiant nature out of my head. (People, you've been warned.)

Alison, you and I get to share the writing love every Monday and Thursday. Today, I ge…

BOOK REVIEW: Starr Fall & BOOK RELEASE: Once & Forever

Dear Alison,

Goodbye January, Hello February! Last week, I let everyone peak in my drawers.  Today, I'm opening my inbox. Well, not literally. You DO NOT want to see my inbox--though I do try to keep all the accounts very tidy--sometimes the emails get a bit, what's the word I'm looking for? Expansive. My favorite emails are from fans. I LOVE them. They make me all warm and fuzzy. Seriously, touch my arm...

See? Warm and Fuzzy. Oh, wait those are my doggies;)

While, I ADORE the fan mail (I DO, I REALLY DO) I would LOVE them even more if they were added as a review to AMAZON and GOODREADS. For instance, look at some of these reviews:


Must Read!!!, January 31, 2017 By  Kelly

This review is from: Starr Fall: Book One of the Starr Fall Series (Kindle Edition) Purchased this book for my 14 year old daughter who is NOT a fan of reading for pleasure or at all for that matter. Well, the book immediately grabbed her attention. In her words..."I can't put this book down. I ne…