Skip to main content

Book Review: PAX by Sara Pennypacker

Dear Kim,

I am happy to hear that you are feeling better (Baby too.) You and I find common ground in our young adult, even adult, book recommendations. I typically leave Donna to send us recommendations about terrific Middle Grade novels. But, boy oh boy, do I have one for you today.

WONDER by R.J. Palacio
Poster of precepts by one of my lit circle kids.
I need to keep up with the best in Middle Grade fiction in order to engage my small literature group of amazing readers that I meet with at our local elementary school. This school year we've already read Kathy Erskine's Mockingbird and R.J. Palacio's Wonder. Currently we are enjoying Kwame Alexander's The Crossover. When we finish Alexander's novel-in-verse, our next pick is PAX.


Oh, PAX.
I could write a love song about this book.
Hey, that's not a bad idea. The kids might enjoy writing a song about the love between Peter and Pax.




Peter and Pax were best friends. Peter, age twelve, needed a friend like Pax to rise from the lose of his mother. And Pax, well Pax needed Peter too. Peter rescued the orphaned fox as a kit. 

When Peter's father enlisted in the war, Peter's life was once again turned upside down. Peter moved to his grandfather's house, 300 miles away from home, and Pax was released back into the wild. Without Pax's companionship, Peter couldn't cope with all of the changes. The only thing he could do to make things right-- set his world back in motion-- was find his fox. He set out for the woods, despite the guilt for leaving his grandfather; despite the violent war at his back, nothing would keep him from Pax.



When first released to the wild, Pax waited. Of course he waited. He cleaned his paws. Listened to the rustling of the woods. And waited for Peter to come back to him. Eventually Pax began his journey through the wilderness in search of his human. He saw new creatures, new geography, and sudden, sad moments of the war. 

                                                     

I will not tell you if boy and fox are reunited because you must read PAX without such a spoiler. I will tell you that the book is a masterpiece. It will take a place of honor next to other classics that celebrate the bond between child and animal. Books like Charlotte's Web and The One and Only Ivan and Shiloh and Because of Winn-Dixie; they will all welcome PAX to the bookshelf.

To add to Sara Pennypacker's beautiful language, the book held illustrations from Caldecott-winning artist, Jon Klassen. Moreover, the muted design of the book creates a perfect package; with rough cut paper mirroring the rough wilderness and war times, along with the embossed front cover (please do take a peek under the dust jacket.)

Klassen has a number of Caldecott honors and one medal, missing here is Extra Yarn (my favorite).

Kim, PAX is a must read. Curl up with your favorite companions for this one. You won't be sorry.



Much Love,
Alison






Popular posts from this blog

The Querying Writer: Part II

Dear Kim,


Remember that letter I sent you way back in October? (You remember October-- back when all things seemed possible.) 





The letter, COMP TITLES and THE QUERYING WRITER, shared details from our Novel Nuts & Bolts class with Empire Literary Agent Carrie Howland. (I may have referred to her as "agent-extraordinaire" in another post.)

Though today's post will be my third about Carrie, it is titled "Part II" because my querying journey seems sequel worthy.







I started looking for an agent soon after you and I met at the NYC SCBWI conference in 2012. I had nice feedback from an agent at a conference and sent him my work. His response was kind (which I've found most responses from agents to be.) But my writing wasn’t ready. The novel he saw was the first I’d ever finished. I wasn't ready.

I swallowed that little voice that said, SEND! SEND! SEND! for two more years until I entered #PitchWars-- Brenda Drake’s crash course in pitching. In the years between t…

Cover Reveal: The Perfect Trip by Stacy Barnett Mozer

Dear Alison,

Thank you for my letter on Friday. I was teaching and didn't get to read it until late Friday night, but oh the memories of our time at the Writing Barn...so wonderful, so peaceful, so inspiring. The retreat was a much needed break from the insane fall I've had, and though we worked our butts off, it was a different kind of work, a good kind of work, my favorite kind of work, and sharing that work with you and Donna? Yeah, that was awesome. I, too, was really able to dig into my WIP and find Gigi's voice. She's so different from Starr and with so much prep work on Starr Lost (Book Two) and Starr Gone (Book Three), I had a hard time recapturing Gigi's voice, but Texas changed all that. Her 'in your face' style sets the tone for the entire young adult urban fantasy series, and I can't get her defiant nature out of my head. (People, you've been warned.)

Alison, you and I get to share the writing love every Monday and Thursday. Today, I ge…

BOOK REVIEW: Starr Fall & BOOK RELEASE: Once & Forever

Dear Alison,

Goodbye January, Hello February! Last week, I let everyone peak in my drawers.  Today, I'm opening my inbox. Well, not literally. You DO NOT want to see my inbox--though I do try to keep all the accounts very tidy--sometimes the emails get a bit, what's the word I'm looking for? Expansive. My favorite emails are from fans. I LOVE them. They make me all warm and fuzzy. Seriously, touch my arm...

See? Warm and Fuzzy. Oh, wait those are my doggies;)

While, I ADORE the fan mail (I DO, I REALLY DO) I would LOVE them even more if they were added as a review to AMAZON and GOODREADS. For instance, look at some of these reviews:


Must Read!!!, January 31, 2017 By  Kelly

This review is from: Starr Fall: Book One of the Starr Fall Series (Kindle Edition) Purchased this book for my 14 year old daughter who is NOT a fan of reading for pleasure or at all for that matter. Well, the book immediately grabbed her attention. In her words..."I can't put this book down. I ne…