Skip to main content

What RULES Your Character?

Dear Kim,

I put Girls of Summer away for a spell to let her simmer before big revision #6,402.

So, as you know, this means PARTY TIME. 🎉🎉🎉

Okay, not like streamers and gin parties, but starting a new novel PARTY.

It is such a happy, anything-is-possible time. I can fall in love with my characters as they uncover themselves to me. Not worry about... tightening plots... revising scenes... word-freaking-choice... too many ellipses.

I mean, I know where I want to go with Untitled Story. She's been the star of my journal for two weeks. See?




Isn't that journal adorable. Gift from my bestie. She knows that I have a BIG obsession with LITTLE things. I filled all fifty, itty-bitty pages with backstory for CeCe, the star of Untitled Story. (And, don't worry, I'm not going all meta on you here, the title isn't "Untitled Story". Just not feeling the working title: OBEAST.)

Anyway, the most surprising thing for me so far with CeCe is that she has all of these rules. She likes structure. Plans. Expectations. For example, shopping at Goodwill has exactly two rules.



The rules of Goodwill:

1.) Patience
2.) Imagination

In my first draft, this is where CeCe gave up the rules of Goodwill:


Fun, right?

I know it's backstory heavy right now. But, hey, what are first drafts if not backstory and shitty sentences? Just like CeCe's Goodwill rules, I need patience and imagination to finish the draft and then turn it into trophy. (Okay, let's not get carried away. "Trophy" is too strong a word here. Consider this a first draft.)

I'll revise to turn this into a stronger scene, let the rules come along more naturally. For today though, I wonder about other characters and their rules? Like Edward Cullen (oh, don't roll your eyes at me!).


No sunlight in public. 
No human hunting. 
No shirts.
What rules are missing?

Or perhaps an example from one of my favorite YA novels, Will Grayson, Will Grayson. (If only it was from one of the greatest characters to ever dance across the page, Tiny Cooper, but no.) This one comes from Will Grayson I:

“Also, I feel that crying is almost--like, aside from deaths of relatives or whatever-- totally avoidable if you follow two very simple rules: 

1. Don't care too much. 

2. Shut up. 

Everything unfortunate that has ever happened to me has stemmed from failure to follow one of the rules.”


This book has my heart. But, dear reader,
do yourself a favor and read
Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story today.
💛


Does your character create rules for herself/himself? I'd love to hear about them.

For now, let me dance off to my first draft PARTY.

Lots of love,
Alison

Popular posts from this blog

The Querying Writer: Part II

Dear Kim,


Remember that letter I sent you way back in October? (You remember October-- back when all things seemed possible.) 





The letter, COMP TITLES and THE QUERYING WRITER, shared details from our Novel Nuts & Bolts class with Empire Literary Agent Carrie Howland. (I may have referred to her as "agent-extraordinaire" in another post.)

Though today's post will be my third about Carrie, it is titled "Part II" because my querying journey seems sequel worthy.







I started looking for an agent soon after you and I met at the NYC SCBWI conference in 2012. I had nice feedback from an agent at a conference and sent him my work. His response was kind (which I've found most responses from agents to be.) But my writing wasn’t ready. The novel he saw was the first I’d ever finished. I wasn't ready.

I swallowed that little voice that said, SEND! SEND! SEND! for two more years until I entered #PitchWars-- Brenda Drake’s crash course in pitching. In the years between t…

Cover Reveal: The Perfect Trip by Stacy Barnett Mozer

Dear Alison,

Thank you for my letter on Friday. I was teaching and didn't get to read it until late Friday night, but oh the memories of our time at the Writing Barn...so wonderful, so peaceful, so inspiring. The retreat was a much needed break from the insane fall I've had, and though we worked our butts off, it was a different kind of work, a good kind of work, my favorite kind of work, and sharing that work with you and Donna? Yeah, that was awesome. I, too, was really able to dig into my WIP and find Gigi's voice. She's so different from Starr and with so much prep work on Starr Lost (Book Two) and Starr Gone (Book Three), I had a hard time recapturing Gigi's voice, but Texas changed all that. Her 'in your face' style sets the tone for the entire young adult urban fantasy series, and I can't get her defiant nature out of my head. (People, you've been warned.)

Alison, you and I get to share the writing love every Monday and Thursday. Today, I ge…

School Visit Recap: Assemblies to Workshops, and the CONVERSATIONS in between

Dear Kim (and friends),

This morning I put away my rainbow superhero mask, gold top hat, and banana-on-a-stick. Few things are sadder than closing your banana-on-a-stick into a dark closet. But, I guess it will rise again next month for my next school visit.

Oh, you thought my collection was somehow Halloween related? No, no. Just part of the workshop portion of my school visits. For the past two weeks I had the privilege of speaking to, and then with, students from one of our nearby districts.



Dwight Smith, the founder of My Special Word, joined me for the assembly portion of the event. We were able to share with the children Dwight's vision for the program, as well as my process for writing the books for him.

There was music. Lots of it.
Some singing. (Would you expect any less?)
And shouting! (Mostly the kids, but I got a few words in too.)



We met with over 800 kids during the assemblies and got a sense for how the school district planned to use My Special Word. I'll say,
w…