Skip to main content

Revising for the Read Aloud

Dear Kim (and friends!),

I attended a workshop last week with Sarah Aronson, Cori McCarthy, Emma Dryden, Laura Sibson, and Mary Winn Heider. The workshop, GETTING TO KNOW YOUR NOVEL, was part online/part on-site. And, let me tell you, for as fabulous as the lectures were online, the retreat opened my eyes to so many discoveries.

THANKS, Sarah, Cori, Emma, Laura, and Mary!
Most of the week I spent with Allie and Jess... my dearest fictional friends. Allie and Jess travel with the carnival for their final summer together. The critiques received at this workshop helped me shape the story I want to write (which, turns out, is different from the one I wrote 😁). I'm journaling tons of new backstory and exploring the relationship between Allie and Jess.

💜 Emma Dryden 💜 gave a three hour lecture on REVISION. (That's not a typo-- 3 hour lecture!) And it was captivating. Some of her tips are already in my rotation. (I wrote about them last week.) 

Emma gave us pages and pages of revision tips. She talked about reading the work out loud. Now, you will recall, I love hearing the monotone wondrousness of Natural Reader reading my drafts aloud. Hearing the story provides one more sensory experience in getting the words to marry.



But...
But...
Kim! 
Kim!!! 

For all of my Natural Reader love, do you know that I read very little of my own work out loud? I let the computer read it. I may read sections out loud. But not the novel. Yikes! The weird thing is, whenever I write a picture book, I read and reread that thing aloud six million times. So, WHY not the novels?

Emma gave the READ IT OUT LOUD tip, but it wasn't until Sarah made us stand at a podium and read a scene out loud that I really got the impact that this method could have for my work. I read from Killer.

As I was selecting a scene to read I really started thinking about what it would sound like out loud. So I read it OUT LOUD. And suddenly I saw all the things. This scene that I'd highlighted. This scene that I thought was as close to ready as I could get it. This scene opened up before me and showed me what it had to offer.

Exhibit A:
As close as I thought I could get it.

Exhibit B:
Closer... Thanks to the read aloud.


Now, if you could just drive up here and pull this draft from my clutched hands, I might be able to send it in.

So much love,
Alison


P.S. Welcome! Welcome! To all of our new followers. We are glad you're here. Hope you enjoy our book reviews and wonderings about the writing process. I wonder how you tackle revision? I also wonder if you, my new friend, will come assist Kim in pulling this draft from my clutches? 😘

Popular posts from this blog

The Querying Writer: Part II

Dear Kim,


Remember that letter I sent you way back in October? (You remember October-- back when all things seemed possible.) 





The letter, COMP TITLES and THE QUERYING WRITER, shared details from our Novel Nuts & Bolts class with Empire Literary Agent Carrie Howland. (I may have referred to her as "agent-extraordinaire" in another post.)

Though today's post will be my third about Carrie, it is titled "Part II" because my querying journey seems sequel worthy.







I started looking for an agent soon after you and I met at the NYC SCBWI conference in 2012. I had nice feedback from an agent at a conference and sent him my work. His response was kind (which I've found most responses from agents to be.) But my writing wasn’t ready. The novel he saw was the first I’d ever finished. I wasn't ready.

I swallowed that little voice that said, SEND! SEND! SEND! for two more years until I entered #PitchWars-- Brenda Drake’s crash course in pitching. In the years between t…

Cover Reveal: The Perfect Trip by Stacy Barnett Mozer

Dear Alison,

Thank you for my letter on Friday. I was teaching and didn't get to read it until late Friday night, but oh the memories of our time at the Writing Barn...so wonderful, so peaceful, so inspiring. The retreat was a much needed break from the insane fall I've had, and though we worked our butts off, it was a different kind of work, a good kind of work, my favorite kind of work, and sharing that work with you and Donna? Yeah, that was awesome. I, too, was really able to dig into my WIP and find Gigi's voice. She's so different from Starr and with so much prep work on Starr Lost (Book Two) and Starr Gone (Book Three), I had a hard time recapturing Gigi's voice, but Texas changed all that. Her 'in your face' style sets the tone for the entire young adult urban fantasy series, and I can't get her defiant nature out of my head. (People, you've been warned.)

Alison, you and I get to share the writing love every Monday and Thursday. Today, I ge…

BOOK REVIEW: Starr Fall & BOOK RELEASE: Once & Forever

Dear Alison,

Goodbye January, Hello February! Last week, I let everyone peak in my drawers.  Today, I'm opening my inbox. Well, not literally. You DO NOT want to see my inbox--though I do try to keep all the accounts very tidy--sometimes the emails get a bit, what's the word I'm looking for? Expansive. My favorite emails are from fans. I LOVE them. They make me all warm and fuzzy. Seriously, touch my arm...

See? Warm and Fuzzy. Oh, wait those are my doggies;)

While, I ADORE the fan mail (I DO, I REALLY DO) I would LOVE them even more if they were added as a review to AMAZON and GOODREADS. For instance, look at some of these reviews:


Must Read!!!, January 31, 2017 By  Kelly

This review is from: Starr Fall: Book One of the Starr Fall Series (Kindle Edition) Purchased this book for my 14 year old daughter who is NOT a fan of reading for pleasure or at all for that matter. Well, the book immediately grabbed her attention. In her words..."I can't put this book down. I ne…