Skip to main content

GEEKing out about Harry Potter and Wende Dikec's Starr Valentine Cover

Dear Alison, 

Thank you for my letter. I can't wait to read Nicola Yoon's Everything, Everything and Padma Venkatraman's A Time To Dance. I have to tell you your reviews were the most inspiring book reviews I've read in a LONG TIME. I like books I can read in a few short reading sessions. They help break up my addiction to series fiction.

Speaking of series fiction. Can I totally geek out on you and gush about J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? Release date is July 31st, 2016--I plan to Pre-Order that book shortly. I'll probably read the entire Harry Potter series again prior to reading the Cursed Child because I'm mildly obsessive that way. 

Here's the teaser from Pottermore

Big things are coming this year from the Wizarding World, including the Special Rehearsal Edition of the script book of new stage play ‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Parts I & II'.

And look at the cover: 

Image result for image of harry potter and the cursed child











There's a teeny-tiny blurb that states it may not be the actual cover, but WOW, the nest, the wings, the child...I NEED TO READ THAT BOOK!!!!

And speaking of covers, check out my fellow Inkspell-er Wende Dikec cover reveal for her YA, Starr Valentine



Isn't the cover GORGEOUS? It makes me want to find out more about the book--lucky for us, I also posted the book blurb.

Starr Valentine always gets what she wants, whether it’s being chosen as the youngest head cheerleader in school history or snagging a date with the coveted quarterback. Unlike her awkward older sister, Astra, life is pretty perfect for Starr, until the day she learns her parents are monarchs in exile from a far-away planet called Vega and her world crashes down around her. 
On the passenger ship carrying Vegonian refugees back to their home world, Starr connects with the very buff and adorable Adrian, and makes a friend named Maya, but otherwise feels out of place. No one is interested in talking to her the entire trip, which is a novelty, and things only get worse once they land. The food is weird. The fashions are hideous. A handsome duke, Julian, hates her on sight, and Adrian is far away in a completely different city and can’t even text. Worst of all, Starr has always been the beauty of the family, but now the entire planet is fawning over her chubby older sister, Astra. 
That is when she realizes the awful truth. Astra is now the pretty one, Miss Popular, and the perfect princess. And Starr Valentine, once voted the hottest girl in the entire school, is now the ugly duckling. The question is, will she be able to turn back into a swan, or is she doomed to be a loser forever?

 A little about the Author, Wende Dikec:
National award winning author Wende Dikec writes Young Adult speculative fiction with romantic and humorous elements. An avid traveller who spent many years abroad, she now lives in a small town in Pennsylvania with her husband, three sons, a puppy named Capone, and a very well used espresso machine. 
She can be found on the web at www.wendedikec.com.


Can you believe she's another Pennsylvanian? There must be something magical in the water. Maybe Albus Dumbledore cast one last spell and shrouded our beloved Keystone state in Writerly Ever Afters...

Shhh..., we should probably keep that magic tidbit to ourselves. So tomorrow, we head off to the NY SCBWI Conference. I can't wait for Rainbow Rowell--I sense a serious fangirl episode coming on--I hope I make it through her session without **SQUEE-ing** And after our session with her, I can't wait to share the inside scope with all of our writer friends here at INK Sisters Write. 

The 2016 conference marks our 4 year anniversary as writer BFFs, and you can count on us celebrating that special date! 

So until New York,

Kim 



Popular posts from this blog

The Querying Writer: Part II

Dear Kim,


Remember that letter I sent you way back in October? (You remember October-- back when all things seemed possible.) 





The letter, COMP TITLES and THE QUERYING WRITER, shared details from our Novel Nuts & Bolts class with Empire Literary Agent Carrie Howland. (I may have referred to her as "agent-extraordinaire" in another post.)

Though today's post will be my third about Carrie, it is titled "Part II" because my querying journey seems sequel worthy.







I started looking for an agent soon after you and I met at the NYC SCBWI conference in 2012. I had nice feedback from an agent at a conference and sent him my work. His response was kind (which I've found most responses from agents to be.) But my writing wasn’t ready. The novel he saw was the first I’d ever finished. I wasn't ready.

I swallowed that little voice that said, SEND! SEND! SEND! for two more years until I entered #PitchWars-- Brenda Drake’s crash course in pitching. In the years between t…

Cover Reveal: The Perfect Trip by Stacy Barnett Mozer

Dear Alison,

Thank you for my letter on Friday. I was teaching and didn't get to read it until late Friday night, but oh the memories of our time at the Writing Barn...so wonderful, so peaceful, so inspiring. The retreat was a much needed break from the insane fall I've had, and though we worked our butts off, it was a different kind of work, a good kind of work, my favorite kind of work, and sharing that work with you and Donna? Yeah, that was awesome. I, too, was really able to dig into my WIP and find Gigi's voice. She's so different from Starr and with so much prep work on Starr Lost (Book Two) and Starr Gone (Book Three), I had a hard time recapturing Gigi's voice, but Texas changed all that. Her 'in your face' style sets the tone for the entire young adult urban fantasy series, and I can't get her defiant nature out of my head. (People, you've been warned.)

Alison, you and I get to share the writing love every Monday and Thursday. Today, I ge…

BOOK REVIEW: Starr Fall & BOOK RELEASE: Once & Forever

Dear Alison,

Goodbye January, Hello February! Last week, I let everyone peak in my drawers.  Today, I'm opening my inbox. Well, not literally. You DO NOT want to see my inbox--though I do try to keep all the accounts very tidy--sometimes the emails get a bit, what's the word I'm looking for? Expansive. My favorite emails are from fans. I LOVE them. They make me all warm and fuzzy. Seriously, touch my arm...

See? Warm and Fuzzy. Oh, wait those are my doggies;)

While, I ADORE the fan mail (I DO, I REALLY DO) I would LOVE them even more if they were added as a review to AMAZON and GOODREADS. For instance, look at some of these reviews:


Must Read!!!, January 31, 2017 By  Kelly

This review is from: Starr Fall: Book One of the Starr Fall Series (Kindle Edition) Purchased this book for my 14 year old daughter who is NOT a fan of reading for pleasure or at all for that matter. Well, the book immediately grabbed her attention. In her words..."I can't put this book down. I ne…